Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Frank Angerano

My first Suzuki finally!!!!!!

Update: New harness is installed and carburetor rebuilt! I thought for sure this would solve the problem since the spark looked 10 times better. NOPE! The engine refuses to rev past half throttle.  Carburetor is 100% good, i have a lot of backfiring as well but that was also going on before all this. Tested all components except the cdi and we all know why we can't test that little fucker, but everything else is well within spec. 

Now I've gone over the entire engine and nothing looks like its been taken apart in fact  its all factory looking and like new but i am leaning toward the timing because the backfire issue or maybe a cam?? 

Pick up coil maybe ? But it tested good, the rpms coming up seem to throw it off. Flywheel/magnets????

I guess take a look at tye top end first and go from there. 
Stay tuned! 

FML......

• Like 1

It could very well be a timing issue. The kfx was thrown out of time due to stretched timing chains. Caused a back fire and stumbling idle. All the luck brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Give em hell bro

Give em hell bro

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/12/2020 at 4:51 PM, Frank Angerano said:

I hear ya. Motor runs great. I found a new harness at a good price so hopefully its a wrap with about $140 bucks. Its in new condition so we will see!!!!!

$140 is a killer deal Hopefully it fixes it Electical is my worst subject !! 

Actually got the harness in and the carb rebuilt. No luck! Still backfiring and not getting past half throttle.  

Electrical is one of my strong subjects and was banking on the harness being the problem since it was in such burnt condition and a week ignition spark.  New harness installed and the spark was so much better so i thought bang im good. 
So anyway @quadnut20 im back to square one.   Going to check timing and go from there.  

58 minutes ago, Frank Angerano said:

Actually got the harness in and the carb rebuilt. No luck! Still backfiring and not getting past half throttle.  

Electrical is one of my strong subjects and was banking on the harness being the problem since it was in such burnt condition and a week ignition spark.  New harness installed and the spark was so much better so i thought bang im good. 
So anyway @quadnut20 im back to square one.   Going to check timing and go from there.  

Damm !! I hate chasing ghosts LOL Checking valves and timing also ? 

Yes thats my first order of business and top of the list.   Going down the list right after that, pick up coil and possibly a flywheel swap since this is happening only when rpms go up.   Starts right up and idles perfect.  

not going past half throttle?  did ya check the, um, choke? xD   

what a project, man!  those wires - good grief, that's literally freakin' neurosurgery right there - all hail to new harnesses!!

that thing is freakin' SWEET lookin, frank - you'll get it running - a little here, a little there - and we'll all learn something in the process

i'm going to look at a 1998 arctic cat 454 this saturday - talked about it before - I doubt it's salvageable and i'm not gonna get all crazy about it like the honda 250 - just looking - taking battery and plenty of tools - will post pictures soon

• Like 1

Thanks @Dra O, definitely going to get to the bottom of this one. And yes i have  checked the choke. 
Even if i put $1000 into it i can tell you i would still be way ahead. Its in perfect condition with a plow and winch.   As of right now total money spent on parts is $65 for a harness and $20 on a carb kit. Oh and about 10 hours of shop time!!! 
Good luck on the new find. Hopefully it works out and you can snag it for a good low price. I happen to love those year bikes.  
Be sure to post pics if you do wind up getting it.  

• Like 1

Thank you @James Mason.  I pretty much for the most part will always  find the problem and to be honest I'm a little excited that its giving me a hard time. I think for the most part the quads i find are more straight forward repairs and find myself doing more cosmetic/body work. Don't get me wrong i love all that stuff but a real problem for a change is something good and i think keeps us all sharp learning about new problems, especially for the next guy.  So we will see!  

A ton of very good reply's to this topic so a big shout out to our members that commented on this.  Keep em coming. Always grateful! 

• Like 2

Well timing is spot on so its on too the next thing!! The valves and head look brand new. This is a tough one!
Everything else tested good electrically. I may pull the flywheel and maybe replace it.

It could possibly be a bad cdi but im going to hold off until the last minute before i pull the trigger on that.  

94E43088-301B-49D2-9327-2DAF8327DAB1.jpeg

• Like 1

I’m thinking the CDI. Flywheel. Or maybe a bad carb. Why else would it be choppy?

• Like 1

Carbon arcing with the spark plug maybe. KFZ has to have hit one of em. Checked rectifier output?

• Like 1

Yeah. I say carb because maybe a vacuum line in the carb has a small hole in it somewhere. I’ve had my Mojave’s and a few warriors that did this.

• Like 2

I hear ya but i went through it all.  My last item im going to swap is the flywheel. After that its only leaving the cdi! 😳

I'll send you one of my cdi units to try if you like. Don't know if the KQ 300 is useful or not.

• Like 1