Quantcast

My first Suzuki finally!!!!!!

Wow @Frank Angerano that's in good shape, I'm afraid to ask you how much you paid cause you always make great deals! You can tell by the condition of the rims, it wasn't dinged up. 2 of my friends had Eigers back when they came out, great quads. 4WD, solid rear axle, semi-auto shift I believe. 

Was this a craigslist find or something else? Have you ever used facebook marketplace?

Thanks @Ajmboy i found it on craigslist. The guy was looking to trade for a motorcycle. He said he did not use it and didn't want it to sit any longer.   It starts up but only for about 20 seconds and starts to die off. Its been sitting for a while in a shed.   
Ive seen marketplace but never use it since i don't really use Facebook.

I always get a little crazy after i finish a project like the big bear i just did and start looking for the next project.  This one wont need much work so its not really a project but it's something to play with    

This one popped right up when i looked and the guy got right back to me. Took a lot of back and forth and  coordination to lock it down bit it worked out. 
Im a firm believer in if its meant to be it will be. 

• Like 2

Im going to move it along, as nice as it is i like a foot shifter.  I agree on the float pin valve. The owner said he pumped the bad gas out of the tank.  Said it smelt so bad, he put new gas in and a battery.  It cranked and started for only half a minute or so. I was able to take a quick ride and go through all the gears.  

• Like 1

So !!!!! Pulled the carburetor off to clean it up. It was already clean and ready to go.  Found a small fuel leak on the bowl due to to the seal on the bowl not fitting correctly. Ordered a new kit with the gaskets included.  However I found worse, there are patched wires from what looks like a small fire. I picked apart the wires as best possible but it seems theres a short someplace within the harness.   I had it running for a while but will not rev. So im going to dig deeper. Some people suck! The previous owner knew there was a fire and hid it pretty well.

D27830D2-7EDA-4737-B925-ACE28E8AEBF5.jpeg

9A51680F-3F3B-4F61-B8B3-6FA952239739.jpeg

3998AD62-385B-4ED1-8494-C8149078B79B.jpeg

2CDC2BE9-5B1B-4237-9527-895B4FD6BF44.jpeg

7F47E726-A808-470F-A52A-FA779EB491CF.jpeg

• Sad 1

Update: New harness is installed and carburetor rebuilt! I thought for sure this would solve the problem since the spark looked 10 times better. NOPE! The engine refuses to rev past half throttle.  Carburetor is 100% good, i have a lot of backfiring as well but that was also going on before all this. Tested all components except the cdi and we all know why we can't test that little fucker, but everything else is well within spec. 

Now I've gone over the entire engine and nothing looks like its been taken apart in fact  its all factory looking and like new but i am leaning toward the timing because the backfire issue or maybe a cam?? 

Pick up coil maybe ? But it tested good, the rpms coming up seem to throw it off. Flywheel/magnets????

I guess take a look at tye top end first and go from there. 
Stay tuned! 

FML......

• Like 1

Actually got the harness in and the carb rebuilt. No luck! Still backfiring and not getting past half throttle.  

Electrical is one of my strong subjects and was banking on the harness being the problem since it was in such burnt condition and a week ignition spark.  New harness installed and the spark was so much better so i thought bang im good. 
So anyway @quadnut20 im back to square one.   Going to check timing and go from there.  

58 minutes ago, Frank Angerano said:

Actually got the harness in and the carb rebuilt. No luck! Still backfiring and not getting past half throttle.  

Electrical is one of my strong subjects and was banking on the harness being the problem since it was in such burnt condition and a week ignition spark.  New harness installed and the spark was so much better so i thought bang im good. 
So anyway @quadnut20 im back to square one.   Going to check timing and go from there.  

Damm !! I hate chasing ghosts LOL Checking valves and timing also ? 

not going past half throttle?  did ya check the, um, choke? xD   

what a project, man!  those wires - good grief, that's literally freakin' neurosurgery right there - all hail to new harnesses!!

that thing is freakin' SWEET lookin, frank - you'll get it running - a little here, a little there - and we'll all learn something in the process

i'm going to look at a 1998 arctic cat 454 this saturday - talked about it before - I doubt it's salvageable and i'm not gonna get all crazy about it like the honda 250 - just looking - taking battery and plenty of tools - will post pictures soon

• Like 1

Thanks @Dra O, definitely going to get to the bottom of this one. And yes i have  checked the choke. 
Even if i put $1000 into it i can tell you i would still be way ahead. Its in perfect condition with a plow and winch.   As of right now total money spent on parts is $65 for a harness and $20 on a carb kit. Oh and about 10 hours of shop time!!! 
Good luck on the new find. Hopefully it works out and you can snag it for a good low price. I happen to love those year bikes.  
Be sure to post pics if you do wind up getting it.  

• Like 1