Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

2005 raptor 350 engine dies after warmed up

Hello,

I'm new here to this forum and have a question for ya on my 05 raptor 350. After about 10-15 minutes the engine does not want to idle. After adjusting the idle screw, the engine will run, but now the idle is really high. When riding after the warm up period the engine pops, sputters, and ocassionally backfires and dies. It acts as if the fuel/air mixture is wrong but unlike my two stroke there is not a fuel/air mixture screw for adjustments. Any suggestions??? Thanks

Steve

Here are some things to consider:

Spark weak:

battery voltage low

Spark plug dirty, broken, or maladjusted

Spark plug cap or high tension wiring trouble

Spark Plug cap shorted or not in good contact

Spark plug incorrect

Ignition coil trouble

Fuel/air mixture incorrect:

Pilot screw maladjusted

Pilot jet, or air passage clogged

Air cleaner clogged, poorly sealed, or missing

Fuel level in carburetor float bowl too high or too low

Thanks for the information. I will try a new plug and see what happens. I will check everything mentioned one at a time if it is more than the plug. The carb has been cleaned completely and the air filter has also been cleaned and re-oiled. Thanks I do appreciate the help. I will let you know what I find out. It won't be until this weekend, but I will let you know as soon as I do the work. Again thank you.

Steve

There is a fuel screw on four strokes it is located in front of the float bowl on the bottom, it is difficult to get to but it should be there, it is on the Warrior wich is basically the same quad. The fuel screw is similar to the air screw on a two stroke, but it varies the amount of fuel that flows through the idle circuit as opposed to the air screw on a two stroke which varries the amount of air that flows through the idle circuit. If your quad has been sitting for a while you may need to clean out the carb.

DirtDemon,

I will look for the fuel screw and see if that helps along with a new plug. The quad has been sitting for almost a year, but this has been an existing problem since I bought the quad used in April of 2006. I took the tank off and cleaned out all the old gas. I cleaned the the screens to the fuel pitcock also. I then cleaned the airfilter. After all that I then cleaned all the jets and the carb. I even put a new battery in it. Thanks for your help. I will post my outcome and progress after this weekend.

Steve

If you had the carb apart, you may have fixed one problem(gummed up carb) and caused another(fuel screw) there is a good chance that you screwed the fuel screw all the way back in when putting the carb back together, a common mistake. That could cause the symptoms you have described. I just noticed you are in Washington, where abouts exactly?

I will check for the fuel screw and make any adjustments if needed. I did ride today and all I did was change the plug. So far everything is great, did not have any problems and rode for almost 45 minutes with my oldest boy who will be 10 on the 22nd . He has a 2006 Raptor 80. Again thanks for the help. To answer your question... I live 25 miles North of Pasco (Tri-Cities) in a little town called Basin City, and not to be confused with Benton City which is West of Tri-Cities. Where do you live and where do you ride?? I try to ride at Juniper Dunes but there always seem to be some kind of conflict going on with BLM and the farmers. One minute it is open the next it is closed. So I quit going.That is why I do not ride much anymore and why I sold my dirtbikes. Well ride safe and have fun, thanks again.

Steve

Nice, sometimes the solution is too simple and gets overlooked. If you have any similar trouble in the future, check the coil wire/plug boot too, I had that problem on my 500R and it would only act up when it was warm, I put a new plug boot on and changed the fouled plug, haven't had any problems since.

I live in Bonney Lake, it is somewhat near Tacoma, I mostly ride some trails that are near my home, it is nice because I can just ride out of the garage and go, no loading up. My boss just bought a condo over in Roslyn, I guess there is some good riding out there, I will probably go over there with him one of these weekends and check it out.

Well just an update. The spark plug has seemed to fix the problem. The quad runs awesome now, and just in time for me to use it during our cherry harvest too. I start harvesting Bing cherries Wednesday the 17th. Again thanks go out to everyone for their input and help, I really do appreciate it.

Steve

Ya I will get some pics up but it won't be until the 27th or so before I will get any loaded. I start my Bing cherry harvest on Wednesday the 17th. Gonna be real busy for about 7-10 days straight. I have 30 acres to harvest. I won't get much riding in until after the harvest. As of right now I do not have any pictures of my quads, so I will make sure to get some. I do have pictures of my motorcyles that I used to own but they are not digital, so I will have to digitize them and then load them. Anyway thanks again for all the help.... Now for my next question???

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
Ya I will get some pics up but it won't be until the 27th or so before I will get any loaded. I start my Bing cherry harvest on Wednesday the 17th. Gonna be real busy for about 7-10 days straight. I have 30 acres to harvest. I won't get much riding in until after the harvest. As of right now I do not have any pictures of my quads, so I will make sure to get some. I do have pictures of my motorcyles that I used to own but they are not digital, so I will have to digitize them and then load them. Anyway thanks again for all the help.... Now for my next question???

Steve

How did that harvest go? Got some pics up yet?

Ajmboy, Harvest started on the 17th of June and ended on the 25th of June and was going great until the evening of June 20th. That evening started a long and sad remaining days of harvest. My Dad, 66years of age, decided it was his time to go and took his own life!! My Dad passed away shortly after 10PM. He did have some health problems and my family believes that was a major factor in why he did what he did. Anyway.... The cherry crop was good and harvest went ok this year. I did not get much and have not gotten very much riding in. I have not taken any pictures yet, but I will, and when I do you guys will know it cause I will post them. Take care.

Steven

Well just an update. The spark plug has seemed to fix the problem. The quad runs awesome now, and just in time for me to use it during our cherry harvest too. I start harvesting Bing cherries Wednesday the 17th. Again thanks go out to everyone for their input and help, I really do appreciate it.

Steve

I'm glad you fixed your issue., and a plug was all it took....condolences to you about your father.

• 9 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...