Ajmboy

Military uses utility quads

28 posts in this topic

The military used to use the ones styled like the Gator back when I was in. If you look at their history, specially the airborne and special forces, they have used similar vehicles for quite the long time. So 4wheelers arent anything new to them.

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

I forgot about this post, I did see some quads about a month ago on tv that the military was using.

My old unit had Suzuki's and Yamaha's. There's been atv's in use during my entire 15 yr career and long before I came in.

Interesting...did you have one assigned to you? Any military atv pics? :biggrin:

No, they are signed out when needed from our Vehicles NCO. The unit I'm in now has Hondas, I think? I'll have to take a look today. I just got to this unit so we may have others besides Hondas.

Are you currently stationed overseas? Are you on this site from a military base? That's pretty cool if you are!

You guys and gals are Americas Freedom!

No, I'm stateside right now. Speaking of, though, when I was in Iraq we had Yamaha's, Polaris Rangers and John Deere Gators (what POS's they were). They weren't for fun, unfortunately, just work hauling equipment and gear around the FOB's.

No, they are signed out when needed from our Vehicles NCO. The unit I'm in now has Hondas, I think? I'll have to take a look today. I just got to this unit so we may have others besides Hondas.

Yup- all Honda's here: Ranchers and Foremans.

I guess Honda won the bid!

Polaris also supplies the military:

MINNEAPOLIS (August 20, 2007) — Polaris Industries Inc. today announced the Company was awarded a contract by the U.S. Army TACOM Life Cycle Management Command to continue to provide the company's highly successful militarized ATV (All-Terrain Vehicle). This competitively awarded contract will supply Polaris MV700 All Terrain Vehicles, parts and accessories. The MV700 has already proven to be a very versatile vehicle in supporting a wide variety of missions conducted in urban, rural, mountain and desert areas in Southwest Asia.

The contract will cover three years and has a potential total value of more than $16 million; deliveries under the contract will commence prior to December 31, 2007.

"Polaris is very proud to continue its role in providing the U.S. Army with world-class machines that can be relied on to perform under the toughest conditions," said Tom Tiller, Polaris CEO. "The awarding of this TACOM contract and the continued relationship with the U.S. Army represents a major step for our overall business as we drive to achieve growth in adjacent market segments."

In the early part of 2007, Polaris outlined a set of objectives intended to achieve its sales and earning goals through 2009. One of the main focuses in the new strategy was to generate incremental sales from several growth businesses, including the exploration of opportunities in new adjacent market segments. The new TACOM contract and the Company's continued relationship with the U.S. Military validates this growth business directive and demonstrates its ability to expand into adjacent market segments outside of its typical consumer base.

The long-standing relationship between Polaris and the U.S. Military began in earnest in 2002 and, with increased opportunities over the past years, has become a great focus for new business for the Company. Already with thousands of machines in the field, this new contract continues Polaris support of U.S. Army Forces and its Allies with innovative, high performance and high quality products that are designed for a wide variety of military applications.

I recently returned from Iraq, and there was everything. Yami Rhino's, kawi mules, popo rangers, john deere gators. If you look closely at the riders though, you will find the contractors use about everything they can get their hands on, the Military uses John Deere and Polaris. Oh...wait...I'm talking sxs's though...not utility atv's.

I saw 3-4 Kawasaki UTV's in 29 Palms course, they were sitting in the DRMO lot, which means they were being parted/shipped out. but they do get used out there.

My buddy just shipped out to IRAQ and is on a base, I'm gonna ask him if they are using them, where he is.

My buddy just shipped out to IRAQ and is on a base, I'm gonna ask him if they are using them, where he is.

Any FOB (Forward Operating Base) in Iraq or Afgan is going to have them (except maybe the most remote ones). I promise. You will also find them everywhere in the rear bases. Heck, we have 2 John Deere Gators in my motor pool.

God Speed to your buddy.

Just got this picture from my best friend, who's still stationed in IRAQ.

4185.jpg

Just some pics I found online:

mv800.jpg

roushdieselquad.jpg

Kodiak.jpg

Hey, I snaped some pics of the brits and danish using quads here in afghanistan, I'll get them up soon as I get them loaded on to myspace so I can load them on here.

Sweet!

That will be great. Love to see them.

They need to get some aftermarket tires on those things.

From what I understand, they use Arctic Cat diesels now.

arctic cat diesels= ultimate beast

l_6c47c4e9fe5542cdb8fdea83964a63c4.jpg

l_0df791f3e53740c2a1d64255b943302f.jpg

I didn't get any pics of the US using quads, but I saw a little of everything over here for utes. mainly though. Can Am Outlanders used by the Dutch.

Very cool! Thanks for the pix!