Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

I traded my dirt bike for a 2000 arctic cat 500 semi automatic. when i went to go pick it up the guy said it didn't get spark, so i thought it was going to be something simple like a coil. well it wasn't. first thing i did was take all the plastics off to get easy asses to every thing. so i bought a brand new battery for it seeing if it got power, it didn't. the dash wouldn't light up neither would the lights, so then i tried to see if the starter worked it didn't so i jumped the solenoid and the starter started turning over the motor. so i bought a new starter solenoid, when i installed it the electric start still wouldn't work , so i bought a new kill switch and starter switch that goes on the handle bars, when i installed it, the electric start still wouldn't work. so then i went to see if i could get spark by pull starting it, i didn't get any spark, so i bought a new spark plug, and guess what, still no spark, so then i bought a new coil for it to see if that would fix it. so i installed the new coil and guess what no spark still and still no power to the dash. so to sum it up i'm not getting any power any where to the four wheeler. so i cleaned all the leads and plugs and still nothing. so then yesterday i took the wiring apart to see if their was any frayed wires, and no their wasn't. does any one have any ideas what this could be i'm up for anything. also if any one knows how to bypass all the wiring just to get it to start i open to that to, or if someone knows where  i can get a wiring diagram.

Couldn't find a  free  service  manual  or  wiring  diagram  .     If  you  have  no  power  to the  lights  or  anything  then   the  problem  is in  a mater  relay  if there  is one ,  or in the  ignition switch .    Not turning  over  on the  starter  could be    a safety  switch  or  the    transmission is  not in  neutral .  Start  at the  battery   positive  and  ground  and  trace the  wires  out .  Check the  neutral  switch  and     safety  kill  switch.  Check    any  and  all  relays . .    Once  you  find out  why  the  starter  doesn't    work  with the  start  button   you  may  also  find why there  is no  spark.  No  spark  could be  the  stator,  pickup  coil   CDI  box or coil.  Most of those  you  have already  replaced .  Take it  step  by  step  from the  battery  out  check  connections  for  corrosion  and wires for  breaks .   A wiring diagram  helps a  lot  ,  but methodical  elimination  will  do  the  job .   You  could  try  looking  at the  wiring diagrams  of  other   arctic  cat  models    for  qa  clue  of  how  they  are wired .  Most likely  they   are all  wired  very  similarly  if not identically .

• Like 1

take an electrical detector and check along the wiring harness to see what has power.

Topic moved to Arctic Cat ATV Forum. Added year into topic title.

It is your voltage regulator. Just had to replace the one on my Arctic Cat 250 2003 again. When the voltage regulator goes it fries the battery and nothing will work. So if you got a new battery without checking the voltage regulator and tried to pull start it you probably fried the new battery too.

By his description he is not getting power to anything even with a new battery, so I would start with the ignition circuit, could be something like the key switch is bad. He may not have checked basics like fuses.

Mike

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Tiffany Rowland
      I bought an 07 honda trx400ex for my daughter 11th birthday. I've been having alot of fun fixing it up but after reading some of the posts about safety I think I may have gotten a little carried away. I put an exhaust on that added 10hp, a k&n performance filter, new carb, a stage 3 rev box and coil, and I wrapped the exhaust. The top speed started out at 92mph and we're well above that now. My main concern, though, is low end throttle. Is there any way I can do something thate will decrease the rate of acceleration without taking off the modifications I've done? She's super cautious and won't go over 10mph but I'm worried that she may have a hard time controlling it after these last few upgrades. 
    • By Tiffany Rowland
      I recently purchased an 07 Honda sportrax and when I was checking the spark plug I saw the boot was ripped nearly in half. When I removed the plug it was blackened and covered in oil. How can I thoroughly clean the plug hole and remove any debris that is in there? Is there a small tube like vacuum or something of the sort made for stuff like this? The machine my dentist has would be perfect, maybe they do rentals! 😁

• By Christian Smith
      Recently bought a Polaris 425 Xpedition. Main issue is that the quad randomly misfires sometimes. ONLY does it at idle. Everything sounds good. What should I look for? Haven't checked the plug, seems a bit hard to get to, not sure. Headlights flicker at idle as well, is this a sign of a weak stator? Help? 
    • By Arizona
      Went shopping on Saturday, picked up another Kawasaki Bayou 220 and a Yamaha Timber Wolf 250
      I really should sell some of these but they are a lot of fun to find, fix and ride
      Of course neither of them run but that's part of the fun!  Az

• By Stacy Hanks
      I have  2000 Yamaha bear tracker 250 - igniton relay and starter relay both were replaced also the neutral switch indicator was replaced-- bike will not show light on for neutral or start when button is pushed

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Craig Butterworth
      Hi, i'm looking for some help and advice with my arctic cat quad, its the first of the arctic cat quads as far as i know, manufactured in 1996 the bearcat 454. i have owned the quad for about 10 years now but just recently it has developed a problem with reverse gear, reverse wont engage any more like it used to 😕 the cable and handle is free but there is no movement the gearbox end, can anyone give me a heads up of what is involved to fix this? 🤔
      If anyone has a service/repair manual available for it as well that would be greatly appreciated! 🙂
    • By mikeexplorer
      Wiring diagram for 2007 Arctic Cat 700 EFI 4x4

• By Adrian Ciotinga
      The title pretty much explains it all. When using the starter I can hear it spinning but not engaging the engine. The wheels also do not engage with the wheels when the clutch is out. The motor has compression if that helps.
      I am new to engine work and repair and I bought this quad with the idea of fixing it up (not knowing the full extent of the damage). The previous owner said it ran but sat for a year (I don’t believe that for a second after opening it up) and had bought a few new plugs and a starter motor, none of which fixed the issue.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated!
      I have attached a few pics of what I think could be wrong.

• By Arizona
      So a few weeks ago ended up buying a 02 Bayou 300 for 100.00
      Get there to see it and motor was gone through and parts missing, stuff not connected
      and a big freekin bucket of parts and bolts. He said had no power and mechanic said it was
      the wrist pin. Ended up leaving it in pieces and left like that. I end up getting most of it back together
      and manage to get it to fire up. I drive it and has no power! No missing just no power. I figure check 
      the timing chain as he did replace that. Well I spin the motor over and guess what!
      A blind guy could have done a better jobs. Just one question, I  loosen the top bolt on the tensioner then remove it
      right? Nothing is gonna fall inside the motor is it? just making sure, need this out before I can move the cam gear 
      to the right location. Thanks in advance Az

• By Ashton Crawford
      Hello everyone, i have 2000 Polaris Trail Blazer 300 I’ve been stumped on for weeks. I’m having a lot of issues starting the quad. I cleaned the carb spotless because I thought it was a carb issue and bought a new fuel line because it wasn’t getting fuel. The carb gets fuel perfectly fine now but it won’t start. The spark plug I a little worn out but it’s good enough for just one start. The only time it does “start” is when I spray starter fluid into the carb. But it never stays on. It’ll start for a bout a second then just die out immediately even if you’re giving it some throttle and the choke is on. I have no clue what I should do. If you need more information, have questions, or have any slight idea what the issue would be and how I could resolve it. Please reply ASAP. Thank you.