Quantcast

Carb or fuel injection ????

I think it is all a matter of what is important to you personally. Carbs are less costly and easier to repair, and jetting is usually cheaper than having your ECU re-mapped or buying a fuel programmer. On the other hand, FI provides much better throttle response, if you have a fuel controller, you don't have to take your carb apart every time you want to change your fuel settings, you just push buttons. No need to re-jet for elevation changes. Performance wise, fuel injection is much better. If you want reliability, with no electronic crap to worry about, maybe you prefer a carb. I quads with both, and I prefer the FI myself, but I am frightened of the day that it start giving me trouble. I think if that fuel injected 4 stroke becomes too troublesome, I will throw a 250R motor with a bigbore cylinder in there. No more battery, no more vavles to adjust, just simple two stroke power, and cheap to rebuild.

Yamaha went to FI on the Raptor when they introduced the 700, the 660 had a funky two carb setup. The YFZ went to FI on '09 I believe, and the DS, KFX and LT-R have always been FI since their debut. Alot of utility machines started using FI a few years earlier, but I think it started really catching on around '06. Even the bikes are going FI, now that they finally figured out how to run FI without a battery. Polaris, KTM and Honda sport quads still use carbs.

Like others have said they both have their advantages and disadvantages. Carbs have been around longer and if you're racing you can fix it easily in the pits. FI is still relatively new to quads and they're pretty much based off of 80's technology to make them simple off the show room floor. But with running motor starts I've seen the opposite as bot most of the fi get off the line faster cause the snappier throttle response. But with that $300 part to make FI work properly and make it what people expect, I bet a FI has the potential of beating a carb quad from a dead engine start. In the end it boils down to what you're comfortable with and what you wanna learn.

Yamaha went to FI on the Raptor when they introduced the 700, the 660 had a funky two carb setup. The YFZ went to FI on '09 I believe, and the DS, KFX and LT-R have always been FI since their debut. Alot of utility machines started using FI a few years earlier, but I think it started really catching on around '06. Even the bikes are going FI, now that they finally figured out how to run FI without a battery. Polaris, KTM and Honda sport quads still use carbs.

To help add to your list if my memory is correct Honda's Rincon and Rancher got FI in 07, I can't remember when the foreman got fi but the foreman was one of the first quads to get power steering. Kawie didn't have fi until they released the 450 in april of 07. The KFX400 and 700 are carb, the brute force 750 got fi in 08. The brute force 650SRA and 650I are still carbed. the LT-R got their fi in 07 or 06 not sure on that one, but I know the early lt400s had kawie 400 engines in them.

DD is correct except for the larger polaris'. the 550 ho and up are all fuel injected now from 2008 and newer.

I was specifically talking about sport quads when I mentioned that Polaris uses a carb. I am aware that they are running FI on alot of thier larger machines. In fact, most large displacement engines in anything are using FI now.

To help add to your list if my memory is correct Honda's Rincon and Rancher got FI in 07, I can't remember when the foreman got fi but the foreman was one of the first quads to get power steering. Kawie didn't have fi until they released the 450 in april of 07. The KFX400 and 700 are carb, the brute force 750 got fi in 08. The brute force 650SRA and 650I are still carbed. the LT-R got their fi in 07 or 06 not sure on that one, but I know the early lt400s had kawie 400 engines in them.

The LT-R was FI from the get go in '06. I thought it was the Kawasaki that had a Suzuki motor in it, the LTZ 400 was introduced first, then the KFX 400 and DVX 400 came later, they were basically clones of the Suzuki, which is ,BTW, FI now too. I know that alot of Artic Cat machines use Suzuki motors, even their snomobiles use Suzuki motors.

• 9 months later...

I like EFI better. My racecar had a 1050 dominator on it and the guy who built the engine would always be fiddling with it between races. I couldnt hear nor tell the difference but he would swear to me something was off or spot on (he was very professional and friendly and always gave me advice).

Fast forward next season and a conversion to EFI. with a laptop i was able to set my fuel curves to track conditions. Very easy for me.

To me adjusting carbs is an artform. To get them perfect requires a good ear and a certain knack. EFI on the other hand is set and forget. A + B always equalled C.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk