Quantcast

How did you get into Quads?

Well I started about 15 years ago with a Honda 110 ATC. I bought it to go deer hunting. I loved it but that is all I did with it was go hunting. My father-in-law got a Honda TRX 200 "The Turtle" it is called that cause it had a trunk that kinda resembled a turtle shell. My brother-in-law had just bought a Blaster from his cousin's boyfriend so I had to have a quad. It turns out that the same guy the boyfriend "now her husband" his dad had a Lakota 300 that he wanted to get rid of. I got it and have been in love with riding ever since. I bought my son a 1986 Honda TRX 70 for Christmas when he was 8 or 9. He was well out of that within a year or so and we found him a 2003 Polaris Predator which he loves. February 2006 I got a Suzuki LT250R and I love it but have been working on it more than riding it. My wife now rides the Lakota. It is a great family sport and we have some of the best times riding. I just wish we could get out more.

Trucks is an awesome show. I met Stacy a couple months ago at the Nashville Auto Show. He was great. I am a Ford guy too mostly. I have a 1994 Mustang GT I bought brand new. I am currently working on getting it back to perfect. I had a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 when I was 18 "man I wish I had that car back".

Here is a pic of me and Stacy:

3530.jpg

u so lucky you met him i dont see him on trucks anymore though:frown: you had a 1970 mach1 very nice,, wat color was it??

Growing up in "suburbia" (50 miles NW of New York city), and anal parents, I never really had the opportunity for any type of off-roading.....a BMX bike here and there with small mounds on abandoned property, but that was maybe 3 times tops.....

Well, at the ripe old age of 44, my photography mentor emailed me one snowy day in January of 2007 and asked if I wanted to go riding with him. I knew he rode quads....he has a Kodiak 450 in his garage...

No sooner did I read the last sentence of that email did I hit reply with a "HELL YEAH!!!!"

Wound up doing a 4 hour ride on his son's 250 Ozark (SRA, manual) and the bug bit me......

The following week, I found a local club, and they advised me to get the '07 Kawi Brute Force 650 4x4i with ITP TerraCross tires....

Took delivery of that puppy in February '07.....WAHOO!!!!!

Since then, I've joined 4 local clubs (lot of member overlap).

I also found out, and the NY members can commiserate, that NY SUCKS for ATV'ers....but we get by with what we have.....

We maintain our trails, as well as volunteer for multi-county charity/volunteer work. Hopefully with the current legislature on the table will improve things....

Don't have all that many miles/hours on the quad, but get out when I can.

As we all know, gas prices are affecting some of us.....

It costs me close to $120 every time I want to ride with the upstate club (120 mile round trip....2 car tanks of gas...quad tank and 5 gal. can...trail fee), so I probably won't be riding much this summer if gas prices don't improve...GRRRRR!!!!!!

Anyhoo...that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!!!!

Tom "Slug Rider" D

were in new york do you live i have been looking for clubs but cant find a single one..

I started riding when I was 11, 1966. I had a Honda 50. Then in 1970 I got a Kawasaki 175. Then in 1974 got married and bought a street bike, Honda 750. In 1977 no more wife and bike. 1979 out of debt and went to 3 wheels. Yamaha Tri-moto 125 and got married again. 1980 1/2 not marred and bought Yamaha Tri-moto 225. 1985 moved to 4 wheels a Suzuki 230 sport. 1987 bought a Yamaha Warrior. 1993 got married to a great woman who loves to camp and ride. 1995 bought a Yamaha 225 Bear Tracker for my wife. 1997 bought a Honda Forman 450 for me. 2004 bought a Honda 250 quad for my son then in 2005 bought him the Honda 400EX. 2006 bought my wife, and me, a Rhino. And in 2007 bought me a Yamaha Wolverine 450. I still love to ride, just not a fast. We go every chance we get.

• Like 2

salon chair? did someone tell you I won the lottery?[false] or that I work for Gene Simmons [true of course] if ya got it flaunt it ! yea someone told me that new moisturizer might have some odd side effects but they assured me it was "nothing that would make me stand out in a crowd."

VERVE you were born at the right moment dude! the only down side is that this is getting expensive....and the environazis haven't all moved to Russia yet, but we keep a positive attitude every day.......:wink:

salon chair? did someone tell you I won the lottery?[false] or that I work for Gene Simmons [true of course] if ya got it flaunt it ! yea someone told me that new moisturizer might have some odd side effects but they assured me it was "nothing that would make me stand out in a crowd."

VERVE you were born at the right moment dude! the only down side is that this is getting expensive....and the environazis haven't all moved to Russia yet, but we keep a positive attitude every day.......:wink:

Well, I was just relaying what Madge told me when I was getting my nails done in Palmolive ™

:shock2:

Tom D

24 years ago there was a Suzuki Dealer in my home town. Bought an 185 QuadRunner with Plow for $1000 bucks new and sold it for $1300. Bought a 230 shaft. Been riding every since.

You kids really need to rid some of the old school quads. Then you would be happy with any quad and not have to cry about certain quads.

• Like 1

24 years ago there was a Suzuki Dealer in my home town. Bought an 185 QuadRunner with Plow for $1000 bucks new and sold it for $1300. Bought a 230 shaft. Been riding every since.

You kids really need to rid some of the old school quads. Then you would be happy with any quad and not have to cry about certain quads.

It's really hard to think of 1984 as "old school" :confused:

But, I hear ya.....

Tom D

Tom you should know by now not to trust anything that Madge says.....

Billy I was working at a Honda dealer when the atc90 arrived- in fact I went and got it. we all thot " what the heck? it's all swelled up!" hahaha but it was the grandaddy of atvs as we know them now....

Tom you should know by now not to trust anything that Madge says.....

Billy I was working at a Honda dealer when the atc90 arrived- in fact I went and got it. we all thot " what the heck? it's all swelled up!" hahaha but it was the grandaddy of atvs as we know them now....

Also a blast to ride.

When I was born, my dad had a 1989 Wrangler. Eventually he had it lifted and we used to go off-roading once or twice a month. Around 2000, it started to fall apart, and he sold it in 2003. We wanted to get back into wheeling but he was afraid of buying another Jeep because of the problems he had, so we decided to get quads instead. I still miss the Jeep, but quading is simply amazing.

I probably have the shortest story but..my best friend got a yfz in 06..then recently (month or 2 ago) another best friend got a raptor 700..then another one got a ltr450..then another got a ltr450..but ive always been obsessed and addicted to atvs..thats why I know more about all of them than any of my friends (even tho they ride better ofc) ..so its finally time to get an atv now that financial matters have fallen into place..KFX450R FO LYFE!

• 1 year later...

My Dad bought quads for him and me when I was 10, he bought an '86 Suzuki LT 230 Quadsport, I got an '86 LT 125 Quadrunner. I hated that thing, so I spent more time on the 230 once I learned how to use the clutch. I had alot of fun on the Quadsport, so my dad traded the 125 in and got an '89 LT 250R Quadracer, and an LT 80 Quadsport for my little bro since he was getting interested by that time. Later, we traded my 230 on for a '92 Yamaha Blaster. A few years later, my Dad sold off all the quads so he could by a freakin Camaro. I was pissed. I always wanted to get another one, but it just never happened. Then a friend of mine bought a shiny new '05 Raptor 660,and that inspired me to find something. I didn't have much money, so I bought someone elses abandoned project. It was a Honda TRX 250R with a CR 500 motor. He had started building a homemade frame with some square tubing, he built a jig using an '86 TRX frame as a template. He had aquired all the parts, but never finnished building the frame. So I picked it up on the cheap and finnished the project. It has been a work in progress for the last 4 years and has gone through many changes and upgrades. I got tired of working on that thing all the time and never riding it so I bought a brand new '07 LTR 450 about 2 years ago, I love that thing, it still does not have the same break neck power that the CR 500 quad has, but it is reliable, easy to start and the handling is amazing. A little while ago, I got an '04 TRX 450R for an unbeleavable price, it had some problems, but they were minor, and I got that thing running like a champ for less than $100.

• 2 weeks later...

well I found this 3 wheeler online last yr didnt run but I was tired of no having anything to do out here in the country so I bought it fixed it fell in love then my brother buys a quad and when we got it running I jumped on it to test ride and yea I had to have one of those Im a late starter on the atv's but hey im do it now lmao

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have had dirt bikes since Chrstmas of 1977. Last Thanksgiving I crashed going from Barstow to Vegas and now have bad vision and balance so I figured a quad would do me better, at least for a while. Did a little research and since really nothing on the Blaster had changed in the 18 year run, I found a fresh Blaster that wasnt the prettist but still looking good for $350. It had both sand and dirt tires too. The doc still hasnt released me to ride anything yet, but am looking forward to ripping up the desert with my new toy!

John in Vegas.

• 2 weeks later...

my uncle gets and sells bikes. i went over there the first time i was 8 he had an 125 act he wanted me to run then i got hooked. ive been working on and riding the bike he wants me to. i just now got my first atv from him lt250r. ive only had crappy dt125e it blew up and got a 87 yz125. now i got that beast i got the dt in 6th grade. but riding his bikes way before. lets just say hes the reason i want to go to wyo tech.

• 3 weeks later...

all started when i was going into the third grade in 2000, dad traded his 89 chevy 1/2 ton long bed for a 98 Kawasaki Lakota 300... i hated him for trading that truck, and said i would never ride that quad... well a week later i hopped on and went for a ride, then a month later i was learning how to ride it. 2 weeks later i got my first quad, a 2001 E-Ton Lightning 50 (biggest pieces of sh*t ever) had that for 3 weeks, til the restrictor plate got plugged up, then dad bought a 01 Raptor 660R and i got the Lakota 300. And damn near 10 years later i still love this sport, and now im starting to get into drag racing again, with my families 1969 Mustang Grande Coupe (best year of the Stangs)

Sweet691002.jpg

it was an accident my neighbor lets me get my firewood from his land i was using a craftsman garden tractor and he said you need a utility his buddy had a 86 honda 200 that he put rings in but never could get it running right i thought i could get it for 150 bucks i ask how much he would take and he said 50 bucks sold I said took it home put the carb and tank back on had it runnin in a couple days i was hooked needed front plastics so i cut a 55 gallon plastic drum for the fenders after a while I needed 4x4 so i traded my boat for a 250 quadrunner then i saw an eiger 400 for sale for 600 bucks everthing was there but no compression and his kid fell off it and it hit a tree so i put a new piston and rings battery and fabricated a new bumper and thats what i ride wife got the 250 and son got the 200 here is a pic of the honda

82 chevy pickup.jpg

57d773324ede5_82chevypickup.jpg.904c262653cbaabe9f1db471ecf727b7.jpg

• 1 month later...

Started riding about 1989 with friends, then bought an 1981 KX80 motorcycle for myself from a family friend for 40 bucks and been upgrading every since now on my 6th Kawi. In the mid 90s I started going to Glamis a lot so I switched to quads, but now thinking about going back to motorcycles.