Quantcast

How did you get into Quads?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

my story is simple grew up racing flatt track n the older I got moved to quads n yes I still act like a crazy old man on a utility quad but haven't rode for a few yrs live in iowa not many people to ride with but am thinking of getting another utility quad I'm 47 n do things that make kids on sport quads shake there heads example 6ft 300 pound man on 750 brute force with 986 big bore kit doing sport quad doubles n table tops I miss that stuff but the wife says if I get one I have to stay on the ground so I guess I can climb trees n rock crawl  leave the air to the young people long story short I'm a power freak n will probably by the biggest utility with the most power id by a sidexside but nowhere to ride in iowa n I don't want to drive to Wisconsin everyweekend or missiouri sorry for hillbilly spelling

• Like 2

23 hours ago, rod knocker said:

my story is simple grew up racing flatt track n the older I got moved to quads n yes I still act like a crazy old man on a utility quad but haven't rode for a few yrs live in iowa not many people to ride with but am thinking of getting another utility quad I'm 47 n do things that make kids on sport quads shake there heads example 6ft 300 pound man on 750 brute force with 986 big bore kit doing sport quad doubles n table tops I miss that stuff but the wife says if I get one I have to stay on the ground so I guess I can climb trees n rock crawl  leave the air to the young people long story short I'm a power freak n will probably by the biggest utility with the most power id by a sidexside but nowhere to ride in iowa n I don't want to drive to Wisconsin everyweekend or missiouri sorry for hillbilly spelling

Sounds like you like to have fun, nothing wrong with that! Look around on the member map maybe for others close by to you, maybe you can connect and send them a message to ride https://www.quadcrazy.com/membermap/

• 3 weeks later...

It's amazing to me to see some of the new utility ATVs vs how there were in the early 90's. Fuel injection, dashboards and suspension alone have come a long way. I'm thinking my next machine should be some sort of SxS, but who knows. I do like the price point of the Textron ALTERRA VLX 700 at $6k, just don't know much about them. However the new grizzlys are pretty nice! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

When my parents died I bought their 5 acre home, outside of Mariposa CA. After 45 years of being a fashion designer in San Francisco, I was done. After seeing me struggle with the 1949 Allis Chalmers tractor my Dad left, my brothers showed up with a present , a used 2006 Outlander 800. That thing is a beast, it has handle every chore 5 drought stricken acres ( lost a LOT of mature trees) can throw at it. On the fun side; nothing compares to chasing a sierra thunderstorm up the side of a mountain. I recently flipped the quad on a severe slope, I managed to throw myself uphill, but my hand got mangle in the mirror, the quad had not a scratch on it and still runs like a dream. 

• Like 1

I'm a bike guy I race motocross and ride single track. I'm 51 years old I might add. My wife was wanting to go with me since there's a bike trail and. Quad Orv trail that run parallel to each other. I bought her a 14 rancher she loved it. Then she got the bright idea of buying another quad. So we bought another rancher a 17 and I got a new 18 Honda crf450 bike. So now when I'm not racing or trail riding with the guys I take her riding. It's nice to ride with her and spend time on the trails with her.  Oh so now she found a mint 02 Honda 250ex. Yeah I bought it for her. I think she has a buying problem. She's up to 3 quads now.😳😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Dravkracing said:

I'm a bike guy I race motocross and ride single track. I'm 51 years old I might add. My wife was wanting to go with me since there's a bike trail and. Quad Orv trail that run parallel to each other. I bought her a 14 rancher she loved it. Then she got the bright idea of buying another quad. So we bought another rancher a 17 and I got a new 18 Honda crf450 bike. So now when I'm not racing or trail riding with the guys I take her riding. It's nice to ride with her and spend time on the trails with her.  Oh so now she found a mint 02 Honda 250ex. Yeah I bought it for her. I think she has a buying problem. She's up to 3 quads now.😳😂

3 quads for the wifey sounds like "happy wife happy life"! That's pretty cool that you race motocross.

• Like 1

Had to learn to drive stick and i figured it would be easier to start off getting the feel for the throttle and cycling through the gears on a TRX300 and then learning the clutch on the truck instead of doing it all at once. I was right. Never had an issue and picked it up quite smoothly (i think i got lucky and the old Chev i was learning on had a good/forgiving clutch).

Grew up on a farm, playing the way kids used to play... OUTSIDE with our IMAGINATION.  Older brother got in to dirt bikes, then there were mini bikes, then there were ATV's.  Still are, for the farm work (WONDERFUL!) and for the kids to have fun!

Had to move out of the burbs due to Na** HOA. Was able to buy a house with some land and had neighbors who had grown up riding quads on the land I bought. We went out and remade a ton of trails (~3-4 miles) on it and bought some used quads to ride. Been crazy into just local riding/working on the bikes ever since. (4 months now but totally awesome... wife calls it her happy place activity... to my dismay the other thing moved to the #2 spot...)

• Like 1

25 years ago my boys got a Suzy 250 quad racer in rough shape. It had been sunk for days, frame bent etc. A lot of water clean up and a welder we got it going. Being a 2 stroke the engine work was minimal. We drove it until the piston blew a couple of years. Repaired the jug and piston, running great and it was stolen that night from our front yard. Never to be seen again. I've had ever since. Lots of fun and headaches. 

About 34 years ago I jumped into cycle riding headfirst.  My 1st ride was a late 1970's Yamaha XS500 street bike.  My best street bike was a new leftover 1987 BMW K75T.  In that time frame a friend of mine bought a HONDA ATC 70 trike.  I rode it around his yard and of course ran over my leg, being used to 2 wheelers.  Within  a year or so I bought a Honda ATC 200S three wheeler.  I still love that trike to this day (it brought me to the sport).  Next was a 1986 Honda ATC 350X.  OMG what a HOT FAST Trike!!!  My third trike was a 1985 Honda ATC 200X.  My fourth trike is a 1985 Honda ATC250SX which will be buried or cremated with me (still runs GREAT).  Through those years I got to ride other peoples machines.  I rode a Yamaha Warrior, an early Honda TRX250 and others and enjoyed it.  I like the quads, but LOVE the three wheelers!  I wish the manufacturers would make modern three wheelers, they would be AMaZinG!  So because my woman is an amateur I recently purchased a Honda Recon.  I love the addition to my garage!  I rode her the day after purchase.  FUN!!!  Quads are great fun!