Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Mikey69

How did you get into Quads?

I loved them from the first time I saw one. But I was out of town working and i accidentally drank some motor oil from a old atv and got some kinda discease from it. every since then all I want to do is ride em, work on em, sit on em... pretty much do anything with em!!!!!

• Like 1

Grew up on a farm, playing the way kids used to play... OUTSIDE with our IMAGINATION.  Older brother got in to dirt bikes, then there were mini bikes, then there were ATV's.  Still are, for the farm work (WONDERFUL!) and for the kids to have fun!

Had to move out of the burbs due to Nazi HOA. Was able to buy a house with some land and had neighbors who had grown up riding quads on the land I bought. We went out and remade a ton of trails (~3-4 miles) on it and bought some used quads to ride. Been crazy into just local riding/working on the bikes ever since. (4 months now but totally awesome... wife calls it her happy place activity... to my dismay the other thing moved to the #2 spot...)

• Like 1

25 years ago my boys got a Suzy 250 quad racer in rough shape. It had been sunk for days, frame bent etc. A lot of water clean up and a welder we got it going. Being a 2 stroke the engine work was minimal. We drove it until the piston blew a couple of years. Repaired the jug and piston, running great and it was stolen that night from our front yard. Never to be seen again. I've had ever since. Lots of fun and headaches. 

About 34 years ago I jumped into cycle riding headfirst.  My 1st ride was a late 1970's Yamaha XS500 street bike.  My best street bike was a new leftover 1987 BMW K75T.  In that time frame a friend of mine bought a HONDA ATC 70 trike.  I rode it around his yard and of course ran over my leg, being used to 2 wheelers.  Within  a year or so I bought a Honda ATC 200S three wheeler.  I still love that trike to this day (it brought me to the sport).  Next was a 1986 Honda ATC 350X.  OMG what a HOT FAST Trike!!!  My third trike was a 1985 Honda ATC 200X.  My fourth trike is a 1985 Honda ATC250SX which will be buried or cremated with me (still runs GREAT).  Through those years I got to ride other peoples machines.  I rode a Yamaha Warrior, an early Honda TRX250 and others and enjoyed it.  I like the quads, but LOVE the three wheelers!  I wish the manufacturers would make modern three wheelers, they would be AMaZinG!  So because my woman is an amateur I recently purchased a Honda Recon.  I love the addition to my garage!  I rode her the day after purchase.  FUN!!!  Quads are great fun!

1984 I went to buy a 250 Suzuki quad,dealer was out so i ended up saving a few bucks on a 185 Quadrunner.. Road the crap out of it,been put through hell. Darn thing keeps running and still have it and it runs.But its parked now i have a 99 sportsman .

I started out on dirtbikes as a kid and had a blast on two wheels. Last year I had an high school automotive class I was teaching and keeping my eyes open for simple projects for my students. Found a honda rancher on Craigslist that had been rolled and appeared to be seized. $250 and I couldn't pass it up. Plastics were crap and handlebars bent, meter cracked but lights still worked. No battery just the pull start. Turned out the the piston wrist pin clip jammed under the wrist pin prevent it from being able to rock back and forth with the connecting rod movement. Drilled the piston off and hammered out the pin. $80 on a new piston and the thing fired up second pull! Eventually got different plastics and repaired a few other cosmetics bits and its been running great since (with a few aluminum piston bits inside lol). Same spark plug and head (just dingle balled it a bit).

28 minutes ago, schroedz said:

I started out on dirtbikes as a kid and had a blast on two wheels. Last year I had an high school automotive class I was teaching and keeping my eyes open for simple projects for my students. Found a honda rancher on Craigslist that had been rolled and appeared to be seized. $250 and I couldn't pass it up. Plastics were crap and handlebars bent, meter cracked but lights still worked. No battery just the pull start. Turned out the the piston wrist pin clip jammed under the wrist pin prevent it from being able to rock back and forth with the connecting rod movement. Drilled the piston off and hammered out the pin. $80 on a new piston and the thing fired up second pull! Eventually got different plastics and repaired a few other cosmetics bits and its been running great since (with a few aluminum piston bits inside lol). Same spark plug and head (just dingle balled it a bit).

you worked on this in class?? sounds cool. nice for the kids!!

22 hours ago, schroedz said:

I would love to see pics of that.  Before, after or whatever.

A friend made a trade with someone for a Suzuki 230 and 250. We got them running and took them up to his dads cabin, haven't stopped since

My Dad got me into dirt bikes and it evolved from there.  Can't thank my Dad enough!

Just bought mine to work around the house, but hopefully can start riding some trails in the near future.

• Like 1

I'm new to quads, just had two given to me... But I've had a Gator for a little while, does that count as a quad?  Is it a sin to even ask that?  Pretty much got into them by buying some land up here in very steep North West CA...

My grandfather had a brand new Suzuki lt230 shaft drive in 1986.  I was 3.  It was everything i ever wanted for a long time growing up

Ive always worked on anything that had an engine and i like to go fast so i bought a chinese pit bike and quad. Rebuilt them to tip top shape and ride em everyday. Plus i build motorized bikes have a dune buggy suzuki 230 quad and a pocket bike. Oh and im only 16.