Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

What the average lifespan of an ATV?

Looking at buying a used ATV and was curious as to what the average lifespan is on one? I was browsing ebay and I saw one with 120 hours on it. I'm not sure if that is a lot or a little? Saw another with 1400 miles for a reasonable amount of money and another that looked better but had 4200 miles on it.

How many miles or hours is too much? I'm looking at 4x4 ATV's for carrying deer stands etc into the woods and hopefully carrying deer out :)

ATV Repair Manuals

there are people who have 30,000 miles on an atv...it all depends on how its been taken care of...now things do start to go after you have a lot of miles on it but as long as you take care of it the repairs will not put a huge whole in your pocket...just remember to keep up with general maintenance and you should be good for a very long time

120 hours and 1,400 miles is not bad.

Don't forget looks are not everything it can have new plastics.

I agree it is not how many miles/hours but how they were put on the machine. If they ride places like ssrt then they can put on a few hundred miles in one trip with little wear. Now if it was a bogger with only 50 miles or so it can be trashed.

Visit the atv in person, jack it up and check the bearings by moving the wheels side to side. See if the CV boots are torn. Cheap to replace but will tell you alot. Then remove what plastics you can easily and check the frame for cracks (Sign of abuse or a roll over).

Start it up and take it for a ride, see if the power feels right for that cc machine.

If you are still unsure you can also have an atv mechanic look at it.

• 1 month later...

i have a 250 R honda that is a 1987 with over 5000 hours on it and who knows how many miles ... and it still looks and runs like new ... but maintace is KEY in the life of an atv ... im a mechanic and i take care of my toys ..... the pic of my 400ex under my name is a 1999 and it has the newer plastic on it .. but the original plastic looks as good as the new stuff .. and my atv is not beat up .. and i maintain it on a regular basis ..

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the Maintenance points that have been made. There are guys that can tear up an anvil with a rubber hammer. ATVs don't last long for them. My wife has a 05 Yamaha Kodiak with 4300 miles on it. We just had to have the engine rebuilt but not because of a lack of maintenance or abuse. The air filter in the Yamaha's just drops into the air box. You have to grease the rubber seal to keep air from getting between the filter and the intake. Well it's a very poor system and we ride in a lot of dust most of the time and dust gets into the intake and eats up the rings and cylinder. I am working on coming up with a better system after dropping $1,000 in the engine, but that is still cheaper than $7,000+ for a new quad. My point is, anything can cause wear on a quad, mud being the biggest enemy. If you ride in a lot of mud, your up-keep will be higher for brakes, bearings and if water gets into the engine, well, that can be big. Take care of a quad, service it properly, ride it like you didn't steal it, and it should last many years.

I would worry less about miles/hours and start shopping by owner-look for someone who maintained it well, stored it inside and if its not all cut up and rusty, chances are its a good quad. ATVs are pretty much bullet proof and there isnt a whole lot to go wrong with them plus they are reletively easy to repair. just look for the obvious signs of abuse and buy from someone who treated it well and maintained it

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/25/2009 at 12:27 AM, outlander560 said:

there are people who have 30,000 miles on an atv...it all depends on how its been taken care of...now things do start to go after you have a lot of miles on it but as long as you take care of it the repairs will not put a huge whole in your pocket...just remember to keep up with general maintenance and you should be good for a very long time

wow 30,000 miles. Thats great

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Maintenance Maintenance Maintenance! When you buy used, change or have the fluids changed before anything else. Research what your machine uses and how often fluids should be changed, then make sure to use specified fluids for your particular machine.  Keep a detailed record of your service, if there are grease zerks make a habit of greasing them.  I try to do that after every 3 rides or so, change all fluids at the end of the riding season so they are ready to go before I take them out in the spring.  Take care of them and they will take care of you.

• Like 1

My 86 kx80 was bought new. I still have all the papers. Last count was 25 rebuilds on oem everything. Runs like a dream when I put the new piston and rings in. That’s a spring project. But yeah. Maitenence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 86 kx80 was bought new. I still have all the papers. Last count was 25 rebuilds on oem everything. Runs like a dream when I put the new piston and rings in. That’s a spring project. But yeah. Maitenence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There seems to be an inverse relationship between year of manufacture and lifespan.  I had an 85 Honda 185s a few months ago that was raggedy but still purred like a kitten and would rip your wrists off.  I have a friend with a late model 420 that has had electrical gremlins and odd other issues.  Even the new XMR1000R's at $15k have a few issues right off the bat with poor wire routing by the frame rail and clutch hiccups.  Much like a new car....they are way more efficient and powerful but woe be it to the one that has issues.  Older machines are less complicated and less powerful but seem to have a longer lifespan....due to their simplicity.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...