Quantcast

ATV Battery Trickle Charger

Ajmboy

With this cold snap, I noticed yesterday that the battery on my grizzly was a little weak. even clicked a few times before I got it to start. I'm thinking of picking up a batter tender/ trickle charger so was wondering what people use to keep their ATV battery charged up. I was looking at these on amazon. They both have good reviews.

Mroinge MBC010 Automotive Trickle Maintainer

or this one

Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender

Kind of like this one because if the accessory plug

BLACK+DECKER BM3B Fully Automatic 6V/12V Battery Charger/Maintainer with Cable Clamps

I would def buy the cheapest POS. Usually these things last forever. I had (*have) an old black n decker that I left always charging my trailer. Even had a fan on it that died. No snow on it ever, but plenty of rain and acorns, debris, etc. Looks like I have black and white clips not red so faded! heh even some rust on the clips

I guess the "transformer" that takes your 110 into charging could die in time. Usually, for non-moving parts, electronics will last and everything else just wires.

I have the regular Battery Tender Plus as well (pricey at $50) that I bought back in 2014. I really like the accessory features of that 2nd one (BM3B) for $19!!

23 hours ago, JacobSlabach said:

yea I got a $5 one off amazon for my atvs- works great for charging and maintaining.

got a link? would like to see that one! lowest (with any reviews) I have seen are about $15

• Thanks 1

Some trickle chargers I've found on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Battery-Charger-Maintainer-Motorcycle/dp/B014QXL438/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1548964541&sr=8-23&keywords=battery+maintainer+12+volt

https://www.amazon.com/TOPAC-Automatic-Maintainer-Automotive-Motorcycle/dp/B079R1FQD3/ref=sr_1_85?ie=UTF8&qid=1548964745&sr=8-85&keywords=battery+maintainer+12+volt

https://www.amazon.com/STANLEY-BM1S-Battery-Maintainer-Trickle/dp/B06XXG4YT2/ref=sr_1_111?ie=UTF8&qid=1548964807&sr=8-111&keywords=battery+maintainer+12+volt

https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Battery-Charger-Maintainer-Motorcycle/dp/B014QXL438/ref=sr_1_129_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1548964899&sr=8-129-spons&keywords=battery+maintainer+12+volt&psc=1

These  are all  US prices...

I had some $9.95  (  on sale) ones I  got  from the Canadian  Princess Auto  Supply  that worked well  on my  portable  jump starter, lawn tractor  battery  and  my  quad that all worked well.  Unfortunately I have to replace them as they got  hit  when  a  windstorm caused my neutral  line to the house to  break  and the voltage surge took  them out along with   a  lot of expensive electronics that were on  the side of my service that went high.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, pokerl0w said:

I would def buy the cheapest POS. Usually these things last forever. I had (*have) an old black n decker that I left always charging my trailer. Even had a fan on it that died. No snow on it ever, but plenty of rain and acorns, debris, etc. Looks like I have black and white clips not red so faded! heh even some rust on the clips

I guess the "transformer" that takes your 110 into charging could die in time. Usually, for non-moving parts, electronics will last and everything else just wires.

I have the regular Battery Tender Plus as well (pricey at $50) that I bought back in 2014. I really like the accessory features of that 2nd one (BM3B) for $19!!

got a link? would like to see that one! lowest (with any reviews) I have seen are about $15

Motopower MP00205A 12V 800mA Fully Automatic Battery Charger/Maintainer Cars, Motorcycles, ATVs, RVs, Powersports, Boat More. Rescue Recover Batteries

Also find one like this at HF... (who knew...)

• Thanks 1

All my idled machines are kept on battery maintainers. They're a lot cheaper   than buying  batteries that get sulphated up from being  run  down  and not recharged. It's especially true for  my 3/4 ton  truck which I only use  every month or so. the "brain box" and accessories  draw very little current, but it is  constant  and can  draw the  battery down  enough to    reduce its capacity over time.  500ma. maintainers  are fine for quads and  yard  equipment/ tractors but for the  larger  batteries in  vehicles a  one or  2  amp unit is better.

The B&D  unit  should serve you well.

I have B&D maintainer then got BatteryMINDer Model 1510 a few years later.  I also had the NOCO Genius which I return after doing some monitoring and it seemed to be overcharging.  The 1510 has a 5 year warranty and has been the best IMO.  It is the only Maintainer approved in Aviation. I rotate the 1510 around once a week between six batteries during winter.  I've tried using the B&D on  batteries after one month of no charger which was last done by the 1510 and it shows the battery is fully charged.  Supposedly the 1510 can maintain multiple batteries that are fully charged in a parallel circuit but I'm not going to try, I just rotate once a week.

• Like 1

The reason I hesitate with less expensive ones which I do own and use the B&D is that my buddies B&D overcharged his 8 month old $120 Harley battery last winter. I only run it for a few days per battery, once a month which is what I would recommend to be safe.  I mainly use the BatteryMinder since I have six batteries not used over the winter months and it has Desulfator which did bring my truck battery back to life and even started after sitting outside at work all day last week at -35. There's nothing wrong with the B&D, it has worked great for my over the last three years.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, r97f1504x4 said:

The reason I hesitate with less expensive ones which I do own and use the B&D is that my buddies B&D overcharged his 8 month old $120 Harley battery last winter. I only run it for a few days per battery, once a month which is what I would recommend to be safe.  I mainly use the BatteryMinder since I have six batteries not used over the winter months and it has Desulfator which did bring my truck battery back to life and even started after sitting outside at work all day last week at -35. There's nothing wrong with the B&D, it has worked great for my over the last three years.

Good info, I just noticed that my battery was getting weak after sitting..especially when cold out so want to make sure I have juice when I need it. I'll see how the black & decker goes, hopefully no overcharging. I'm going to check it tomorrow.

I use the maintainers sold by NAPA, They output 850ma which is enough to maintain/charge an ATV battery. Never had an issue with overcharging. They are not cheap but they work well. One thing to watch out for is some maintainers switch to that mode and never switch back to charge mode. They only sense it when it is disconnected and re-connected.  They should have an indicator light to tell you if its charging or on maintain mode. A test I did was once it switched to maintain, I would turn the quad on (but not start it) The draw from the ignition circuit should be enough to drop the battery voltage a bit to tell the charger to kick on again. Turn the ignition off, and it should switch back to maintain mode within a few minutes (I do the test without turning on a larger draw, like the headlights)

I have a larger 2 amp version to maintain the battery on my camping trailer (full size battery)

Mike

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Ajmboy said:

I forgot to mention that I can't get it to charge through the accessory plug like I wanted with this black+decker, that's what sole me on it...lol. I have to test the plug. I had to use the alligator clips, but works good.

Probably the accessory plug only has power with the ignition key on. Arctic Cats have a 2 pin connector under the rear fender that has power on all the time for attaching accessories. Its perfect for attaching the battery tender. Perhaps your machine has the same connector?

7 hours ago, mikeexplorer said:

Probably the accessory plug only has power with the ignition key on. Arctic Cats have a 2 pin connector under the rear fender that has power on all the time for attaching accessories. Its perfect for attaching the battery tender. Perhaps your machine has the same connector?

Probably, need to check. Never thought of that.

2 hours ago, davefrombc said:

I  plumbed in two  accessory  sockets on my old Honda . .One  on the front and one  on the  back.  I used the  marine ones  with caps tp  keep  crud out when the sockets are not in use.

Nice idea!

• 3 weeks later...