Mikey69

How did you get into Quads?

122 posts in this topic

I have no quad yet. i began driving a 50cc Kymco Agility which used more oil than fuel. I changed to a Kymco 120 Dink, which stopped running once it rained. And it rains quite often in Belgium-Europe. Bored of the Kymco-shit I bought a really nice Triumph Bonneville. Great machine, but needs a lot of attention (chain). Now I want more stability, possibility to drive by storm and snow. For this reason I will go to the Autosalon Brussels on the 19-01-2014 and make my choice. On paper I go for the Goes 625i, which is close to the CFMoto 625i. Also TGB is an option. Sorry for the rest, but I want a 2-cilinder at a small budget.

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

I bought a really nice Triumph Bonneville.

On paper I go for the Goes 625i, which is close to the CFMoto 625i.

That\s awesome with your Triumph, i have always liked them and i went to college with a fellow that had a 1976 Trident. Pretty bike !!

I had never heard of the Goes, googled it, and its a sharp bike !! Good Luck !!

Found an old warrior next to a dumpster in an alley in North St. Louis. Took it home and started messing with it, got it running and took it to the country that weekend. I don't think I've sat on a dirt bike since.

My dad bought a quad when I was in high school. That time I already ride a bike but to me riding a quad is more fun especially during weekend off-roading.

dirtbiked as a kid- then got into it again after marriage- now into atv as got one for kid - now have two- I do miss dirtbiking but atving is a blast also

Tying to get my nephew into quads now!

A friend of mine who owns a ranch in Nevada invited me to ride his quad. Since then I got hooked and bought my own ride.

Slow just was raised like any other country kid and liked big trucks and mud for my 11th birth day my dad bought me two kx80s, a parts bike and a running bike(neither ever ran), and ended up parting the bikes out and then bought a quad have always just loved it.

minibikes and snowmobiles- then dritbikes, now atv's. snowmobiles always stay in the mix.

A friend of mine has a huge farm in Colorado and he uses a quad to go around the place. The first time I rode his ATV was in 2006, I got hooked.

Started with a Kawasaki Bayou years ago, always loved atvs and when I was a kid just couldn't get one where I lived. later got a yamaha warrior and then a king quad.

On 10/15/2016 at 4:40 PM, quadmaniac said:

Started with a Kawasaki Bayou years ago, always loved atvs and when I was a kid just couldn't get one where I lived. later got a yamaha warrior and then a king quad.

I had a bayou at one point also. I had a friend that always had 5-6 quads in his garage, eventually it was the thing to do!

One neighbour  had a trike  ( Honda  200cc) and another  had an  older  Honda quad.. I  saw  a 1991 Honda  Fourtrax TRX 300FW with  a winch  come up  for sale at a decent  price  and in  very good condition for the  age, so  I  bought it.   I've ridden  it  4  years now , and the only work  it  needs  now  is the rear axle  and hubs replaced because the  splines are worn  out  allowing  the   wheels to wobble  some  on the  shaft.  Got a  new axle and  hubs for it , but  need to   install them.  Newer  models would come with  more bells and whistles but so  far this  one  has done everything I want it to and  the  winch  has  pulled  my  neighbours  2  wheel  drive quads out  of  sticky   situations  several  times.  I added   2   accessory  sockets  so  I  can   power  12 volt  accessories  on  either  the  front or  rear  racks (or both) .  I don't see myself  replacing it anytime soon.  It goes  as  fast  as I want it to  on the trails here, and I've never had any  problem  pulling  anything with it. As long  as  it  has traction, it'll  pull so  I'm  not  needing any   bigger power  ...so  far; and at  73 I'm  not really  into  racing machines  myself . The old  Honda  goes  fast enough to  get into  trouble  as it is.

On 12/28/2016 at 7:07 PM, davefrombc said:

One neighbour  had a trike  ( Honda  200cc) and another  had an  older  Honda quad.. I  saw  a 1991 Honda  Fourtrax TRX 300FW with  a winch  come up  for sale at a decent  price  and in  very good condition for the  age, so  I  bought it.   I've ridden  it  4  years now , and the only work  it  needs  now  is the rear axle  and hubs replaced because the  splines are worn  out  allowing  the   wheels to wobble  some  on the  shaft.  Got a  new axle and  hubs for it , but  need to   install them.  Newer  models would come with  more bells and whistles but so  far this  one  has done everything I want it to and  the  winch  has  pulled  my  neighbours  2  wheel  drive quads out  of  sticky   situations  several  times.  I added   2   accessory  sockets  so  I  can   power  12 volt  accessories  on  either  the  front or  rear  racks (or both) .  I don't see myself  replacing it anytime soon.  It goes  as  fast  as I want it to  on the trails here, and I've never had any  problem  pulling  anything with it. As long  as  it  has traction, it'll  pull so  I'm  not  needing any   bigger power  ...so  far; and at  73 I'm  not really  into  racing machines  myself . The old  Honda  goes  fast enough to  get into  trouble  as it is.

That's full time 4WD, right? My friend had a Honda Recon that was similar, great quad. The pic below is him on it in the water..the atv would go through anything..lol!

Posted (edited)

Yup .  Full time  4x4.  When  I  lived in the north , I  had a snowmobile that was a blast to ride; but  down here we  just don't normally get   enough snow for a sled;  so the quad gets  used year round. I've got  "Bear Claw"  tires  front  and rear   so  it gets  a pretty fair grip  on all terrain..  Have  gotten stopped a  couple of times  high centering it ,  but  getting  off and  lifting front  or rear  and it'll  pull itself  off  the high center  ok.  I  generally  run  second in line  or tail  end  when  out  with the  buds.. I let them break the trail  and  if they  get  bogged   down ,  out come the winch  cable  to  pull them  back. I  use  my  4x4  truck the same way ..  LOL..    go  in with it  in 2wd  and when  it  gets sticky  then  into  4x4 to  turn  around  and try  a different route..  A  lot  easier  on the  machines and  my  pocket book that  way.  The winch is to  pull the  other guys  out  of the  muck..  LOL...  I  learned  not  to  be  one of those  that  says   "Wow,  had  fun  on the  ride .... only  cost  a couple of  grand to  fix the rig"..  I prefer  to spend what cash I have on toys,  not repairs.

Edited by davefrombc
fixed typos

Has anyone moved into anything else besides ATVs? Dirtbikes, UTVs, carts, snowmobiles, etc...

On the tail end of kids and figured we better find something we could do together, after getting them realized we should have got them waaaaaay sooner. The kids would've really enjoyed it, as it is they can't keep their noses out of the electronics long enough to even want to go out.  Pretty sad, and shame on us for not doing it sooner.  But we love it and has created some great one on one time.

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, freedomflyer63 said:

On the tail end of kids and figured we better find something we could do together, after getting them realized we should have got them waaaaaay sooner. The kids would've really enjoyed it, as it is they can't keep their noses out of the electronics long enough to even want to go out.  Pretty sad, and shame on us for not doing it sooner.  But we love it and has created some great one on one time.

That's a very good point about the electronics. I have a 9 year and 2 year old. I'm thinking of getting a small quad for my 9 year old daughter. 

For me, it was after 15 years of breaking and dislocating everything. .decided 4 wheels would be safer 

On 2/15/2017 at 9:34 AM, fartknocker said:

For me, it was after 15 years of breaking and dislocating everything. .decided 4 wheels would be safer 

But you still have a sled, right? 

On 28/03/2017 at 8:31 PM, Ajmboy said:

But you still have a sled, right? 

Yessir lol. Still safer than a bike..for me anyways 

On 4/14/2017 at 4:19 PM, fartknocker said:

Yessir lol. Still safer than a bike..for me anyways 

Interesting, maybe one day I'll get a used snowmobile!

1 person likes this